Reporting To: Strategy Director
Delivering software development projects
Technology sits at the heart of The Hallway’s offering: data + creative. As such the Lead Developer is the lynchpin who leads our in-house and contract developers as well as coordinating with our overseas developers to deliver digital solutions for our clients. This role is ultimately responsible for guiding the engineering capabilities of the agency, setting quality standards, and delivering to our clients’ goals and budgets.
- Deliver all projects within agreed timeframes
- Suggest and implement QA standards across digital projects and improve QA as measured by the number and severity of bugs reported in JIRA per quarter (scaled by team size)
- Proactively bring 3 innovative / new tech ideas to clients per year
- Manage agency learnings by creating Post Implementation Review documents for all medium to large digital projects with Lead Producer
- Manage out any underperforming individual or partner organisation within 3 months of evaluation
As Lead Developer you will be self-directed with a passion for technology and how it can enable great creative outputs. Most days will be spent coding websites, backends, APIs or other digital assets for clients, prototyping proof of concepts to assist with pitches and getting ideas across the line. Some days will be spent improving The Hallway’s technical delivery platforms and processes.
You will have 5+ years experience as a full-stack developer with a proven ability to deliver large scale digital experiences. You will need extensive experience and good programming practices on PHP, Drupal and Wordpress. Good communication is a must, as is experience managing and improving the quality of developer output including code reviews.
Your ability to review and understand business requirements to architect an appropriate technical solution is a key skill you are passionate to execute.
- Working with Producers and Creatives to contribute to the solution setting, technical strategy and requirements of a project
- Participating in workshops to understand client requirements in detail so a suitable technical solution can be put forward
- Identifying new ways of working and new technologies that bring value to clients
- Assuring that all digital projects across a client work together to achieve brand / sales goals
- Managing technical aspects of projects across clients from web builds to microsites to apps to digital media
Essentials Skills and Experience
- Extensive experience with PHP, Wordpress and Drupal
- Integrating APIs
- Experience with MySQL databases
- Experience working with hosting solutions and servers (e.g AWS)
- Exposure to creating rich media ads and thorough understanding of ad-serving technologies, particularly dynamic (e.g Doubleclick)
- Solid knowledge of SEO best practices
- Solid knowledge of web application security vulnerabilities
- Ability to write test plans with development team
- Experience with Atlassian tools (e.g JIRA)
- Experience working within a fast paced environment, ideally within a digital agency
- Excellent supplier management skills
- IT degree / qualification
- Create technical specification documents and architectural design according to project requirements that follows industry best practice and considers future development phases of the output
- Continual execution of smooth deployments
- Ideate and work closely with strategy and creative. Prototype or develop proof of concepts as required
- Establish and maintain a holistic understanding of a client’s technical environment, requirements and roadmap
- Identifying and managing tech standards/guidelines, including technologies, deployment and hosting at both a client and project level
- Support digital producers in scoping
- Ability to clearly document software dependencies, APIs, processes etc
- Review quotes and timings from the team and any 3rd party suppliers
- Research and keep abreast of new platforms across varying technologies
- Provide technical support for new pitches as required
- QA code written by yourself, other members of the team and third party contractors
“Nice to Have” Skills and Experience
- Recruitment experience for potential partners and future development staff
- Experiencing developing native apps for Android and iOS
- Knowledge of the parameters for using hardware via mobile browsers
- Knowledge in C#, ASP.NET
- Understanding of .NET Framework (3.5/4.0/4.5)
- Excellent presentation skills
- Input on overall digital processes with Executive Producer
- Input on tech process within the agency, training and supporting producers, testers and developers as required
- Perform SCRUM master duties on larger projects that require it
- Consider and suggest rollout of tools, technologies and platforms that will improve efficiencies and quality
- Ability and drive to manage more junior resources and 3rd party suppliers
The Six Pillars Of Us
We Listen Profoundly
Ideas come from everywhere when your ears, eyes and mind are open.
We Speak Our Minds
You’re here because you have an opinion. Please disagree.
We Make Shit Happen
Take responsibility for getting the job done.
We Push Boundaries
Whenever you can, take the path untraveled.
We Take of Each Other
We don’t have to be friends, just brothers and sisters.
We Have Fun
This is advertising, not heart surgery; if you’re not having fun, you’re not doing it right.